Friday, July 1, 2011

POST SCRIPT to JUNE POSTING

Ghost Moths
I found a heap of empty ‘cases’ in the bush garden in late June so on 22nd June, I sent off an enquiry to an entomology site I found online: 'kmebert@uqconnect.net'.  I was very impressed to receive a very comprehensive reply on 2nd July with all the information I could want.
I sent these photos:

You can see that all around them are holes
in the ground, so I assumed that's where they
came out.
It seems that the ones coming out of the ground are “Ghost Moths” of the family: Hepialidae and there are lots of species. “They have larvae that feed on the roots of trees below the ground. They make a burrow up to the ground surface. They pupate down under the ground but the pupa has circles of prickles on it and it can wriggle up the burrow with these gaining purchase on the wall of the burrow. So when it is ready to emerge to the adult (often in the winter time) the pupa comes up to the surface and projects almost all its length above ground before the adult hatches out and flies away. They are big brown or purplish moths, often with a few silver markings on the forewing. The adults don’t feed, but mate and die in a few days. The females are much bigger than the males and don’t come to lights as readily as the boys. If you have so many hatching in your garden then you should have had a few fluttering at your house lights.”
I have certainly heard bangings and flutterings at the windows at night but it’s usually when I’m already in bed and it’s been so cold I haven’t investigated. I’ll check next time I hear them.
This one was sticking out of the tree and when we touched it, it spilt rain water
all over my son - much to the entertainment of his wife!
The one coming out of the Acacia is similar and is called a Wattle Goat Moth. The larvae burrow into the tree and can live there for up to four years before emerging. This explains some of the big holes I've found in other Acacias.
I was so pleased to find all this out so quickly that I didn't want to wait till next month to post it on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment