Wednesday, July 18, 2012

JULY 2012 - BUSY AGAIN, AT LAST!

Replanting the drive
The old Acacias that used to greet us down the drive are being replaced with flowering gums and various smaller Australian shrubs such as Bottle Brushes, Tea Trees, etc. It’s a great opportunity to establish a whole new area of Australiana.
Of course the roots of the old Acacias have an enormous network underground so we have had to paint the stumps with poison and cover with black plastic which (I hope) will eventually kill the roots so that the new plants can grow properly.

Another problem with that root network is the digging of the holes. What to do? A farmer friend produced a brilliant solution for us which does away with all back-breaking digging, avoids damaging any underground telephone, water, electrical or sewage pipes and makes a clear, unobstructed hole for planting. It’s called high pressure water – and it works brilliantly!


When I think of the time and energy I have expended over the years digging into hard, unyielding ground, hitting unexpected roots or rocks just to plant one small tree, I ask myself, “Why didn’t somebody tell me about this before?”

Once the hole is dug, there is the occasional root that needs to be cut out with Farmer Friend’s long handled secateurs but, in general, the hole is quite clear enough and the plants can be put straight in. A bit of compost or potting mix is added to provide a some nourishment to start them off and, presto! The easiest planting I’ve done in years.

Alpaca preparation.
Geoff has been working hard and has put in a gate between the house garden and the paddock in readiness for our Alpacas in September.














I was a bit worried about some weeds in the paddock – I suspected they were hemlock which, of course, would have been deadly poison for the Alpacas but I’m told by all the farmers around that it’s not. No one can tell me what it actually is yet so a bit more research is needed.
This is the weed. It's very flat and has a small dark pink flower.
Wattles and Wanderers.
This view from the verandah is what I look forward to every year since I planted them both in May 2007. What a picture they make.

Pigface (Carpobrotus glaucescens)
I pinched a couple of pieces from a nature strip in Point Cook and stuck it in the ground about 12 months ago. It has grown so well and is smothering grass and weeds so efficiently, I’ve put some more cuttings in along the fence. While they’re new, I’m protecting them from the digging blackbirds with sections on mineral water bottles.


More morning glory
Another beautiful sunrise on the 8th July will end this entry on a positive and glorious note. 

2 comments:

  1. Is that Hardenbergia violacea (Happy wanderer) on the verandah? Its impressive how much space they can fill if you let them. Also that high pressure water solution is a miracle fix. Does it cut through clay or only topsoil?

    ReplyDelete